This wouldn't be the first time I have thought about what I would love to do for senior seminar. From what I can gather about the syllabus, I can essentially create anything I would like--I could spend an entire semester devoted to researching and writing a book. That would be so thrilling.
Of course, I've had several ideas and thoughts how to go about them. I'm very fond of fairy tales and the concept of the fairy tale as I've come to believe they hold such a great value in cultures throughout the world. They can be told again and again and again in so many forms and so many variations without losing their essence--showing that while nothing is original, everything can and almost must be originally reshaped by generations.
I do have several ideas for a manuscript, involving a rendition of the beauty and the beast tale, and a story that is a collage of several different tales co-existing in the same world as part of a high fantasy novel. I've also entertained the idea of adapting tales into a book of poetry or anthology prose.
The tasks would require a great deal of research of all kinds. I would be charged with the task of investigating different cultures and what their stories meant to them, not just to me, and try to link them together by cross analyzing similar texts and their variations (ex. the French tale of 'Beauty and the Beast' as compared to the Irish version 'Brown Bear of Norway'). I could also explore the oral culture, interview those still familiar with the art of storytelling through word of mouth. Aside from that, I've admittedly not thought much on how I would achieve these aspirations of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment