Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blog 11

Since we've done so much work on the chat essays in class, although I really did enjoy picking them apart, I think I'm going to explore the gaming literacy transcript for my essay.

I really have to read these things a few times over before you start noticing little things that aren't quite obvious. I start to hear the voice of the conversation and imagine what it sounded like. The dynamic between Ch and B seems a little one sided on Ch's end in the beginning, and at first the interview at hand doesn't seem all that interesting at all because B isn't very forthcoming. Then I started looking at his language and the way he chose what words to say, and that made me curious.

It's sort of like what I said in class over the chat room interview with the girl who had spoken to the older man on the phone. At first it doesn't seem like much, but if you throw in the knowledge that Ch is a teacher and the careful assumption that the people she's interviewed are students or of general student age, the game changes. To be specific, I notice that the way B chooses words towards someone he assumes not only is of the print generation, but someone who he ranks as a higher academic authority of the alleged print generation is much different than the way he would address the matter with an older relative or friend.

So I suppose the question I would like to explore for now is what is the power relationship between Ch and B and more specifically, how does B in his conversation with Ch try to assume the role of Internet generation student trying to relate to an assumed Print generation teacher model?

No comments:

Post a Comment